B.Sc. Optometry is an Undergraduate Program that deals with the examination, diagnosis, and management of diseases of the visual system. This course is synonymous with eye care & visual health. It trains the students to work as professionals whose main intent is to assess the vision of patients, prescribe & fit lenses to improve their vision. The curriculum of B.Sc Optometry has been designed to train and qualify the students in the aspects of refractive conditions of the human eye, visual aids, cure diseases and abnormalities of the human eye, and other services.
The course comprises three years of education and one year of internship in order to provide students with practical knowledge in this field. Through this course, students learn about the different processes that comprise the vision and optical systems. It also comprises information that is essential to understand the manufacturing and production of optical aid such as contact lenses, spectacles, etc. The demand for optometrists in India and abroad is continuously increasing. They make a health assessment, offer clinical advice, prescribe spectacles or contact lenses, and refer patients for further treatment, when necessary. Offering primary eye care, optometry is a challenging, stimulating, and exceptionally rewarding profession that offers excellent opportunities for work in India and abroad.
- The graduates will be knowledgeable in ophthalmic and systemic care to practice as an optometrist.
- The graduates will interpret results of common ophthalmic procedures, develop differential and definitive diagnoses, including the skillful use of vision care instruments and material.
- The graduates will be skillful in techniques and current technologies, skillful in problem-solving, and will possess professional, ethical, and compassionate behavior and standards.
- The graduates will provide quality eye and vision care through comprehensive and appropriate examination, measurement, assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and management of eye and vision conditions.
Upon the completion of the course student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the scientific and statistical principles underlying the practice of optometry.
- Examine, diagnose and advise treatment for various ocular disorders
- Design, manufacture and prescribe diverse optical aids including spectacles, sunglasses, ophthalmic lenses, contact lenses etc.
- Lead actively a team of in various inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary health care communities.
- Assist Ophthalmologist or efficiently manage and run any ophthalmic or optical clinic industry & trade.
- Undertake Public Health Optometry projects and vision screening eye camps for educating on ocular hygiene and related nutritional and environmental counseling.
- Recognize epidemiological, environmental, and etiological factors that require intervention to prevent visual deterioration or ocular disease.
- Demonstrate knowledge of vision care principles that govern ethical decision-making and respect for the dignity of the patient.
- Obtain the pertinent information about a patient using communication, observation, and diagnostic testing.
- Use modern techniques and technologies for providing vision care solutions to the diverse patient populations.
- Recognize the need to engage in lifelong learning through continuing education and research.
- Practice independently as an Optometrist
- Practice in optical establishments, Corporate & Private Hospitals, NGOs.
- Run optical shops and setups to dispense visual aids.
- Start own specialty clinic like contact lenses, Computer vision, Orthoptics.
- A plethora of jobs in the manufacturing and distribution sectors of ophthalmic lenses, contact lenses, and ophthalmic instruments.
- Work with multinational eye care companies like Bausch & Lomb, Essilor, Zeiss, etc.
- Pursue M.Sc and Ph.D. programs and take up teaching Optometry as a career.
All those candidates who have passed the 10+2 with Physics & Chemistry as compulsory subjects and either Mathematics or Biology from recognized Board / University / Council or 10+2 with a vocational course in Medical Laboratory Science / Medical Laboratory Technology with at least 50% marks (45% marks in case of candidate belonging to Reserved Category) in aggregate.
Course duration: 3 Years / 6 Semesters