Microbiology is a multi-disciplinary science that explores the biology of microbes in every aspect of human life. The learner of microbiology will know the mechanisms, ecology, interactions, control, applications and many interesting facets of microbes. B.Sc. Hons. Microbiology course includes the study of mycology, bacteriology, virology, parasitology, and other branches. In this course, students study principles of microbiology with microorganisms or emphasis and human diseases. Students will study the major topics such as aspects of medical microbiology and overview of microbiology, disease transmission, identification and control of pathogens, and immunology.In B.Sc. Hons. Microbiology course, students will learn comparative characteristics of microbial organisms, general bacteriology and microbial techniques, pathogenicity, epidemiology, disease transmission, control of nosocomial infections, body defences, immunology, hypersensitivity, physical and chemical microbial control, collection and handling of laboratory specimens, common bacterial, fungal and viral diseases, and experimentation in clinical scenarios.
PROGRAM CONTENTS AND ACADEMIC FRAMEWORK
- Students shall be able to identify, formulate & solve the problems of immunology disorders in the area of immunology & medical microbiology
- Students shall be able to conduct the molecular biology experiments as well as to analyze & interpret the results.
- Students shall be able to use the recombinant DNA techniques and their applications in Microbial Biotechnology, Industrial Microbiology, Environmental management, and various other fields of microbiology.
A student shall have:
- An ability to apply the fundamental knowledge of bacteriology, microbial metabolism, and molecular biology of microorganisms of medical, environmental, industrial, and pharmaceutical importance.
- An ability to conduct experiments, analyze and interpret results using conventional analytical tools.
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet the desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
- An ability to function in multidisciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve problems in the area of microbiology.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility in the field of microbiology.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- A broad education is necessary to understand the impact of solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
- Recognition of the genetic engineering and microbial biotechnology for therapeutics and an ability to engage in lifelong learning in the area of biochemistry.
- A knowledge of contemporary issues related to microbiology.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern professional tools necessary for professional practice and for research.
- An ability to apply the relevant knowledge and managerial skills to manage a project of multidisciplinary nature.
There is a broad scope of employment for graduates of B.Sc Microbiology course and there is a huge scope for candidates in the government research institutes some of the jobs which are offered are listed below
- Operations Manager
- Senior Business Analyst
- Senior research scientist
- Quality control Microbiologist
- Clinical Research Associate
- Project Manager (Energy)
All those candidates who have passed the 10+2 with Physics & Chemistry as compulsory subjects and either Mathematics or Biology conducted by a recognized Board / University / Council.
Those candidates who have passed their Matriculation examination AND have also passed three-year Diploma in any Trade from Punjab State Board of Technical Education & Industrial Training, Chandigarh or such Examination from any other recognized State Board of Technical Education, or Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering & Technology, Longowal / or / Two years diploma in pharmacy or medical lab technology after 10+2 recognized by any state board.
COURSE DURATION: 3 Years / 6 Semesters
Admission is made directly on the basis of marks obtained in 10+2. Online registration can be made on our MGC website www. mgccampus.com.
|First Semester||Second Semester|
|Sr. No.||Course Name||Sr. No.||Course Name|
|2.||Cell Biology||2.||Molecular Biology|
|4.||General Bacteriology||4.||Industrial Microbiology|
|5.||Biomolecules- Practical||5.||General Microbiology- Practical|
|6.||Cell Biology- Practical||6.||Molecular Biology- Practical|
|7.||General Bacteriology- Practical||7.||Industrial Microbiology- Practical|